One of Austin’s most beloved institutions is getting into beer in a big way and kicks off a brand-new menu of draft offerings Wednesday with a special pairing event combining beers and tamales.
Tamale House East — owned by the Valera family, who opened the original Tamale House downtown in the late 1950s — recently added a beer bar with 16 taps. To commemorate the restaurant’s focus on mostly Texas brews, stop into Tamale House East beginning at 5 p.m. tomorrow to enjoy “The Tapping of the Kegs: a Taps and Tamales Party.”
The party will have a la carte pricing starting at $5 and the pairings pricing starting at $10. Plus, brewery representatives will be on hand with T-shirts, glassware and giveaways. Here’s the list of beer-and-tamal pairings that will be available (tamal, as our food writer Addie Broyles has noted, being the correct singular version of the word ‘tamales’):
- Saint Arnold Pumpkinator with a roasted pumpkin tahini tamal
- Independence Brewing Bourbon Barrel-Aged Convict Hill Stout with a steel-cut oats and bourbon tamal
- Austin Beerworks Super Awesome Lager with a smoky bacon tamal
- Blue Owl Brewing Professor Black Cherry Stout with a dried rainier cherry tamal
- Live Oak Hefeweizen with a brown butter banana tamal
- Hops & Grain Vienna Lager with a blackened pork belly tamal
- Austin Eastciders with a burnt brown sugar pineapple tamal
- Lone Pint Gentleman’s Relish with a dark chocolate tamal
- Lone Pint Yellow Rose with a Gulf shrimp candied grapefruit tamal
- 4th Tap Tamarind Wheat with a tamarindo tamal
Other beers on tap include the Karbach Hopadillo IPA, the Zilker Brewing Brutus IPA, Big Bend Brewing Oktoberfest and Avery Brewing El Gose. The event runs from 5 p.m. to midnight tomorrow at 1707 E. Sixth St.
For more information, visit the eventbrite link.