Austin Beer Week — which starts Friday and runs through Nov. 6 this year — celebrates local brews through a multitude of events at bars, breweries and restaurants throughout the week.
This time around, a half-dozen of Austin’s brewpubs are doing something new to highlight the collaborative spirit that so often defines the beer industry locally and beyond: the ATX Brewpub Collusion.
Brewers from the ABGB, Black Star Co-Op, NXNW Restaurant & Brewery, Pinthouse Pizza, Red Horn Coffee House and Brewing Co., and Uncle Billy’s Brewery & Smokehouse are each releasing a special collaboration beer — a pale ale made using a specific recipe. The brewpubs came up with this recipe together, but each one then made the pale ale using their own particular style and techniques, guaranteeing that the beer will taste differently at each brewpub.
During Austin Beer Week, you’ll be able to try each version at all of the brewpubs starting with Black Star Co-op on Oct. 28.
The brewpubs created the idea of the ATX Brewpub Collusion after conversations at a recent gathering for the Texas Craft Brewers Guild, an organization that fosters and develops the natural camaraderie among the state’s brewers. The ABGB, Black Star and the other Austin brewpubs decided to create a pale ale with a pilsner base and only Columbus and Mosaic hops, but they could interpret the recipe with their own twists beyond those parameters.
Here’s the schedule for each ATX Brewpub Collusion release during Austin Beer Week. (Each of the links will take you to the corresponding Facebook event.)
- Friday, Oct. 28: Black Star Co-op, 7020 Easy Wind Dr.
- Saturday, Oct. 29: Red Horn Coffee House and Brewing Co., 13010 W. Parmer Ln. #800, Cedar Park
- Sunday, Oct. 30: The ABGB, 1305 W. Oltorf St.
- Tuesday, Nov. 1: Pinthouse Pizza (Burnet), 4729 Burnet Rd.
- Wednesday, Nov. 2: NXNW Restaurant & Brewery (Stonelake), 10010 N. Capital of Texas Hwy.
- Thursday, Nov. 3: Pinthouse Pizza (Lamar), 4326 S. Lamar Blvd.
- Friday, Nov. 4: Uncle Billy’s Brewery & Smokehouse, 1530 Barton Springs Rd.
- Saturday, Nov. 5, North by Northwest Restaurant & Brewery (Slaughter), 5701 W. Slaughter Ln. D.
If you try all eight of the beers and post photos of them with the location on Instagram or Twitter and the hashtag #ATXBrewpubCollusion, you’ll be entered into a drawing for the chance to win a prize. Three winners will be chosen at random and announced through social media.
Tomorrow, look for a guide to Austin Beer Week in this blog that will help you sort through and select among all of the fun events.